Sunday, November 6, 2011

Winter Market

Saturday we participated in our first  Winter Farmers Market, held in the  horse barn at the county fairgrounds.
We didn't really know what to expect for crowds or sales, but knew it would be much smaller than the summer outdoor market, so made half our usual  number of loaves of  bread.  This market doesn't open until 9 a.m. (summer market starts at 7 a.m.) so I got up early to bake cinnamon brioches, hoping they would still be warm at the beginning of the market. I had also made decadent chocolate truffles: plain, some with a little sprinkle of pink sea salt, and some with toasted black walnuts from our own walnut trees.
We also sold our honey in squeeze bears and in  small glass  jars with natural comb
and our first greens grown in the high tunnel.  It was especially hard to  determine how much to harvest--I kind of hated to make bare spots in my lovely beds in the high tunnel and did not want to end up with a lot more leftover greens than we could ever use.  We did have quite a bit left, but I guess what we can't eat, the cows will savor.
Our stand was located right across from our summer market neighbor, Kelly,
and next to our friends from Easy Yoke, Daniel and Hannah and their darling 7-week old son, Paul. Paul was the littlest farmer at the market, but perhaps the biggest attraction.


It was a fun and busy market morning. When we got home we decided to take a brief nap before making lunch or unloading the car. Two and a half hours later we woke up when the phone rang - I guess we were a bit more tired than we realized!

4 comments:

gz said...

markets are hard work, but enjoyable

Bee Girl said...

Congratulations on your first winter market (and your well deserved nap)! Everything looks delicious!

Bethany Ringdal said...

Wow, how lovely! It must be nice to have a later market start... How did the baked goods sell? Make sure to say hi to our friends for us!

katiegirl said...

Wow, every time I see your market posts I wish I was closer so I could buy some of your goodies! I LOVE your honey labels!