Yesterday I took a welding class through Crossings at Carnegie. My big (and heavy) result was a bottle tree I have been wanting to make for years. I set it up in front of the store and was delighted to see the blue glass glowing in the early morning sun when I went out to do chores today.
bee escape screen beneath the supers I intended to harvest, the idea being that over 24 hours the bees would move down into lower boxes and not be able to get back up into the honey supers. This worked pretty well! There were only a few bees on the frames and I brush most of them off easily with a stem of dried asters. I put the frames of honey into big plastic tubs, covered them and hauled them to the barn in the wagon. I usually have hundreds of bees in the barn when I harvest honey but I only had a few bees this time. Of course I also only had one hive to harvest--when I went out to put the bee screens on, I discovered two of my hives (which had seemed to be thriving a week and a half earlier) were totally emptied of bees and honey, only containing sad, empty comb. If I had harvested my honey a month ago like most beekeepers, I probably would have still lost my bees but I would have at least gotten the honey!
Now, off to extract the honey from the hives!