Monday, May 2, 2011

Bird Bait

Yesterday my beekeeping friend Sue posted on FB that she had seen an oriole in her yard. Today, another beekeeping friend, Joe, noted that his hummingbirds were back.

I haven't seen either orioles or hummers yet, and it seems too cold for them (my gourd starts in the little greenhouse froze last night!) but I put out feeders today. If they do show up in this chilly weather  they surely will appreciate some calories.

It's not very fancy, but I drove a long skinny nail into a couple of my fenceposts and stuck half an orange on each. If there is an oriole around, I know he won't be able to resist  an orange.

We've been hearing the White-Throated Sparrows and  Rose-Breasted Grosbeak the past few days.  If you play these two videos simultaneously with the Red-Winged Blackbird and the Robin, (and you add an occasional chicken and cow) it sounds just like our yard. I love seeing these springtime birds, even though many are only passing through.

In other news, still no calf from LaFonda...

No comments: