Thursday, May 9, 2013

Just What We Needed!


We are getting rain!  Ordinarily that would make me happy but the ground is so saturated already. Will it ever dry up enough to plant??
The worst is the pasture between the  barn and loafing shed, the sacrifice yard where the cows trample the grass to death all winter. By yesterday it was drying off enough that I didn't sink up to my knees when feeding the cows, but today it is back to deep muck in the heavy clay soil. With all the  deep  muck-boot- and hoof-print-potholes, it never drains. Maybe we should haul in a huge load of sand.
The ducks and goose are the only ones enjoying it. This is precisely the area I had plans for putting my raised beds for squashes and long beans growing on arched trellises!
The cows pretty much hang out inside the shed or on an island of spilt hay by their feeder.  They may be  wasting hay intentionally to enlarge their island. I wouldn't entirely blame them but at $6 a bale, it is a pricey island.
There is now a small pond between the loafing shed and the big compost pile.  The ducks and goose LOVE it.
Yesterday afternoon was so lovely I decided to do the chicken coop spring-cleaning. However, I was not able to push the wheelbarrow full of old bedding through the  mud (it wasn't nearly as muddy as today) to the compost pile, so that job  is postponed.
Despite the rain, I decided to take Zinnie for a walk through the prairie this morning and see what's growing. There is a moat around the big rock.
Some of the bloodroot I transplanted from a roadside ditch last spring is  coming up.
I planted one marsh marigold a couple years ago I got at the  Quarry Hill native plant sale, even though we don't really have a marsh, but do have sort of ephemeral wetlands. This year it must be very happy! It has buds already.
The mowed  path through the prairie is lush and green.  This is the  path of the future sculpture walk --we hope to start installing sculptures this summer.
Looks very lush, even though the buds haven't popped open yet. Once they do, you can't see the prairie for the  grass and bushes.
Walking through raindrop diamonds.
Meanwhile, back at the bird food court, dozens of impossibly yellow goldfinches.
I am especially happy that mourning doves have returned.  I realize now they disappeared the year of the great-horned owl family.  Maybe it is safe now that the owls have moved on (cross  your fingers.)
We have a beautiful new bird this summer -  rose-breasted grosbeaks! this morning they were at the feeders, but I wasn't able to get my camera in time for a good shot. The male has been serenading us with a sweet song.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

Well, you won't have a drought, that's for sure! Hope you get some planting weather soon.

katiegirl said...

Ah, mud. That's one reason I love when the ground is frozen. NRCS offers cost-share for HUAs (heavy use areas). Maybe you could talk with them about doing something to help the worst areas in the pasture? That grosbeak is beautiful!! I've never seen one.