Thursday, January 5, 2012

Stray


There is an intruder in the barn!  When I went out to get hay yesterday,  I was surprised to find a big black cat sleeping on the bales.  He is pretty brazen - he immediately started meowing at me for food,  and of course I obediently got him some.  He was properly appreciative, though, and purred loudly and rubbed up against my boots.   He is a bit thin, but healthy-looking and larger than all of our three cats. He has been neutered.   I suspect he must have been a pet, probably dumped by somebody.

He has made himself at home. Tonight he was still in the barn, demanding supper again.  After scarfing down some food,  he enjoyed being held.  Our big gold cat, Orange, came in and amazingly, they seem to get along. There was no snarling or hissing.  Usually the dogs make sure no stray cats hang around, but even Nutmeg and Cocoa seem to accept him.

We really don't want another house cat, but I guess we could use a nice barn cat, if he is ok with that.
Now to come up with a good name...

9 comments:

bcsander said...

Ummm, "Black".

bcsander said...

That was me...Sanderfam...using my husband's account.

gz said...

Jet?

Handsome!! You've been adopted :-)

Marcia said...

Why not call him what he is? Stray!

Tom Stewart said...

I love CATS! Have one that shares my bed at night. He is 10 years old and rules the house!
How about "Brazen" for a name? That seems to be what he is!

The Starved Idiot said...

I saw the photo and "Bellicose" sprang to mind. Belli for short?

Jocelyn said...

Handsome boy! It sounds like he's been around long enough to have met everyone without your knowing about it. That's the funniest part. It explains the "lack of hiss". I like that he's just moved on into what's his house (as he sees it).

Gotta admire that. How about Persnickity?

katiegirl said...

Lucky guy to have found you! So funny he started meowing for food!

Unknown said...

Look out! He's yours now! and when the word gets out in the Kitty underground, you will be unendated (sp ?) with strays! It's happened to me - it will happen to you! hahahaha!