Sunday, February 15, 2009

What We Did This Weekend

Our weekend culminated in some awesome bread-baking. Rog woke up his sourdough starter yesterday, and today from the dough Cadence made these beautiful bagels (too bad you can't smell how delicious they are!), Rog made a perfect loaf of bread, and Rog and Sara created two fabulous pizzas.

We all worked extremely diligently this weekend. Sara wrapped up her final report on local foods, Rog and Cadence installed the second layer of insulation in the granary roof, and I tackled organizing the basement shop. I got about a dozen big boxes unpacked that hadn't been opened yet since we moved here last fall. I also winter-sowed 25 ziplock bags of flower seeds (see yesterday's post for details).

We faced our first tough farm challenge on Friday night. When I went out to tuck the chickens in for the evening, the crippled rooster was not doing well. He hadn't moved all day and was totally listless. The other chickens had either been pecking him or walking on him. We didn't think he'd make it through the night and decided it would be kindest to not prolong his suffering. We did the deed, but with considerable angst... maybe it gets easier.

6 comments:

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Oh they look fantastic and I can almost smell them.... wonderful. I think I have to go downstairs to put the kettle on.

Tyra

Anonymous said...

That's such a difficult thing to do, poor rooster. But it otherwise sounds like you had a very productive weekend. The bagels look scrumptious!

Susan Tomlinson said...

I'm so so to hear about the rooster. You did him a kindness, though. It never really makes it easier to know that, however, does it?

And those bagels look good enough to eat!

Unknown said...

I think you did the best thing for the rooster. He wasnt thriving. Its a tough thing. I hope the other eight bring you lots of joy (and eggs!lol)
Margaret(from Kellogg)

Bearly There said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bearly There said...

OOPS, I left off the link. Look here for chicken help.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/