Thursday, February 26, 2009

You Dirty Dog

I was all set to write about our crazy winter storm today--beastly, blowing snow with thunder and lightning - very weird - but I was distracted worrying about Nutmeg. She had been out in the storm for several hours, and not come when I called--not even for supper. That's worrisome.

Finally, about half an hour ago, she came to the door. We let her in --and immediately regretted it. She must have been obsessively digging in pursuit of a mouse or rabbit -she was caked in mud!

This photo is from a mole-chasing episode earlier last fall when only her feet got dirty. She has tufts of fur between her toes that collect a LOT of mud. This time she was filthy up to her belly, and the mud was frozen like ice cubes stuck to her.

I just finished giving her a bath. I am not sure which part was worse--cleaning her, or cleaning the bathtub afterward.

4 comments:

Tessa said...

Oh, how awful! Looks like she is front left footed! My dogs don't dig, thankfully- but they get really dirty, with our rain! Then it smells like wet dog in the house- yuk! My dogs may not dig, but my little one eats things out in the yard and gets right in my cold frame- He also likes to rub in dead worms or slugs!

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

OMG!!! You deserve a medal for cleaning her.... and a tub! I'll go now and give a treat to my dog.

Susan said...

Nutmeg may be left-pawed, but I had cleaned the worst of the dirt off her right paw before deciding I should get a photo of her muddy feet.

You are right, nothing quite like the fragrance of wet dog! Or the smell of dog that has rolled in something rotten...dogs are so disgusting.
.

Randy Emmitt said...

Those are some nasty feet. Our Daisy has feet just like those, she used to be a farm dog, now she's a paradise dog. Just yesterday she got her toes clogged up with tiny snow balls like your mud balls.