First, Rog installed a vent in the high tunnel greenhouse. Easier said than done - it took all day Saturday, and was not fun, working overhead, high on a ladder in a hot greenhouse. But the vent works perfectly and almost magically: automatically opening to let hot air escape when the greenhouse gets too warm and closing as the greenhouse cools off. Knowing how forgetful I am, the vent will avert disaster if I fail to roll up the sides in time. I don't want to risk cooking my veggies before they are harvested.
fed two pints of honey last week, and the bees had devoured both jars of honey. I gave them two more pints of honey, this time diluted 50:50 with water. The nectar-like consistency is supposed to inspire them to start raising brood as if it were actually spring with flower nectar flowing. An increased population will give them a head start, allowing them to collect more nectar and make more honey as soon as spring actually gets here.
Rog and I also cleaned and repaired the two Warre hives, scraping off the old comb adn porpylis and replacing the wimpy nails with sturdier screws. I still want to repaint these hives before the new bees arrive in a couple weeks.
smoking fish while I tilled a quadrant of the garden where winter rye had been planted last fall for green manure. (Our friend Joe has given us use of us his wonderful, big rototiller in exchange for storing it in our barn.) After tilling in the rye grass, I turned in a thin layer of fairly-well-composted brown leaves to add extra carbon.
Rog and I worked really hard all weekend, and we woke up pretty stiff and sore today to prove it! However, we did manage to squeeze in a little nap in the hammock in the afternoon sun yesterday, the first hammock-nap of the year. Life is good!