Monday, August 1, 2011

Dew Walk in the Prairie

Early Friday morning, I ventured through the wet, tall grass of our little prairie to see what is blooming these days.  It had rained during the night and the air was heavy with humidity, but the temperature hadn't yet risen to the unbearably sultry range.  Everything was wet and sparkling with dew. Even the chaotic spiderweb mats on the ground were beautiful.
Some  webs cast rainbows. 

Wild bergamot is currently in bloom --it's my favorite prairie fragrance.
I came upon a large patch of yellow coneflowers growing where I had cast seeds gathered from along the bike trail last summer!

Coneflowers dripping with dew.
The sumac berries are at harvesting stage for making sumac-ade.
This beautiful hint of things to come did not make me happy.
After wading through the tall wet grass my  clothes were  absolutely sopping wet.  So, as long as I was all wet, I decided to check out the restored prairie adjoining our land... (see next post.)

3 comments:

Becky said...

I'm having trouble viewing your pictures on this post and the Kiva post. I wonder if I'm the only one having trouble. I can't wait to see the pictures of your walk in the prairie!

Susan said...

Hmm, I am not sure what happened, but I reposted the photos and hope you can see them now. Thanks for the alert, Becky!

Becky said...

I can see them now and they are beautiful! :) What a wonderful prairie you have!