Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Profitable Poultry Painting

Some of the farm-themed paintings I created last summer are hanging in the Crossings sales gallery in Zumbrota. I just learned that two of the poultry paintings sold last week! I painted this series "plein air" --outside, in front of the barn, with real-live critter models. This one is called Chicken Feather and I am especially fond of it because while I was staring at the blank canvas, wondering where to start, a rooster ran by proudly brandishing a feather (from the previous day's chicken harvest, but that didn't seem to bother him.) My chicken muse! Later, when I went to varnish and frame this painting, I discovered a tiny feather embedded in the paint--it seemed so appropriate.
The other painting that sold is "Chuck Dickens," inspired by our chicken who thought he was a duck. As an adult, Chuck has finally merged with the flock of chickens living in the coop. He must have finally gotten fed up with all the swimming the ducks and geese did.

While I was painting this series, we had a young hen, Kazoo, that was mercilessly attacked by the other chickens. After she realized I was her protector, she would come running to me whenever I came outside. While I was painting, Kazoo kept getting into my paint, so I created a fabric sling and painted with her on my hip. I am sure the neighbors driving past and glimpsing me out there painting with my chicken around my waist might think I am a bit eccentric.

6 comments:

Becky said...

That's so exciting that your painting sold! I'm not surprised though... those are great paintings!
I love that story of the little chicken in your hip sling while you painted.

Christine B. said...

Chicken in a sling, why don't I have neighbors that are that creative? I'd probably drive into the ditch! Congrats on selling your work, very exciting!

Christine in Alaska

katiegirl said...

LOL, I'd love to see chicken sling pictures!!

And let me know if you ever paint sheep!

Callie Brady said...

I love the chicken paintings! I think you have the makings of a great story... The Hip Hen and Friends or? And you could paint the illustrations and sell the book on your blog!

Barry said...

So, what other paintings do you have? My wife LOVED both of these and so did I....

Susan said...

Thank you all for your kind and encouraging comments! Katiegirl, Sheep paintings are on the horizon. Barry, you can see some of my other paintings at my artist website www.susanwaughtal.net. I just fixed some broken links so it should work now.