Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Little Garden Reading

I  just finished my book art project for the Rochester Public Library gala fundraiser, Wit Wisdom and Wine this weekend.  Artists were invited to transform a book into art for a silent auction, My book ("The Well-Tempered Garden") is more of a miniature garden than artwork, but that seemed fitting for a farmer.  On the tiny garden bench is a tiny book, also titled "The Well-Tempered Garden." The plants in the garden are  succulents, moss and a very small orchid.
The hardest part of making this piece was cutting out all the pages (I chose a very thick book, to provide room for the roots of the plants.)  I now have a big blister on my index finger. The book garden is pretty cute, though - I might have to make another one for me someday.  The  pages are sealed with acrylic varnish and the interior of the book lined with an aluminum tray, so the book shouldn't turn into compost for a long time.I can't wait to see what the other artists have come up with.

I think you can still get tickets to this fundraising event which has fun people, wonderful wine tasting and fabulous food.  I am honored to be one of the speakers again this year (shall I be witty, or wise?)
The library plays a more  important community role than ever in these tough economic times and needs our support!

5 comments:

HolleyGarden said...

Love the garden in a book! What a creative and cute idea! I hope your library's fundraiser does well.

Marie said...

wow! it's sure to be showstopper!

Marcia said...

How adorable. Truly a work of art too.

vera said...

Wonderful piece, Susan! A new take on garden books! Hope your finger recovers. Would have loved to have seen the show and heard your wit and wisdom

acronym said...

Hmm, good job! This is really something!