Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sad Day in the Coop

One of my favorite  hens, the Silver Lace Wyandotte, was dead in the coop this morning. When I  did the chores last night I noticed that she was on the ground, not a roost like the other hens,  but I didn't think too much of it because it wasn't getting dark yet. I suspect she was egg-bound, poor girl.

She was a friendly and clever hen. Whenever we worked in the flower beds or did any digging she followed us around to snatch up any worms or bugs we overturned. I couldn't find a good photo of her in my disorganized photo files, but she looked like the hen in the link above, very beautiful; people always exclaimed over her.These are a few of her remarkable feathers, white with a thick black outline that gave her a polka-dot  appearance.

I guess I better add a couple Silver Lace Wyandottes to my chick order this spring.

1 comment:

katiegirl said...

Aw, I'm so sorry. I lost my favorite hen, Wanda, earlier this winter to what I suspect was an impacted crop. By the time I realized it I was too late to do anything about it.