Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Few Farm Blooms

We have color! Stuff is starting to bloom!
Last week at the Farmers Market I purchased a pretty begonia - called "Bonfire" - for a hanging basket in the hummingbird/butterfly garden bemeath the windmill. The farmer selling it assured me that hummingbirds and orioles find this plant irresistable. I haven't seen any hummingbird action at this begonia yet, though.
I found some of my favorite Victorian-looking snapdragons. This variety is called "Chantilly" and will be up to 48 inches tall.
The first Icelandic poppy is blooming by the patio.

Geraniums and chives I tucked under the windmill on impulse last fall are now flowering.
Nasturtiums may be my very favorite flower (I even had them on my wedding cake.) I couldn't resist buying this darling fringed variety when I found it at Sargent's nursery where I work. It's named "duckilicious" --I hope that doesn't mean our ducks will find it tasty!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

wow...i can't belive how much is blooming already :) very beautiful !!!

Anonymous said...

I started some nasturtiums in April and they are outside now, but haven't flowered yet. I've never seen them before, except on the seed package, they're pretty! Can't wait for mine to bloom!

katiegirl said...

Hi! I just found your blog! I love it so far. I've read back to March, and I can't wait to read more. Thank you for blogging, I love reading about what others do on their land. :-)